Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Shtopping: Day 90

Okay, here's the Shtopping Game Plan:

1.  Post updates:  I'll post about my progress every 10 days.  In an effort to keep my innate narcissism at bay, I'll try to keep them short and sweet.  You're welcome.  But also:  accountability.  Important.

2.  Cancel all shopping emails:  I died a little, hitting "unsubscribe" to each and every one of those special offers.  Oh, the deals I'll be missing!  But I have a feeling they will be there when I get back.  But it's like getting your gym clothes on in the morning even if you're not working out till afternoon:  you got give yourself every chance you can of making the leap.

3.  Unfollow my fellow shoppers on Facebook.  I belong to a couple of awesome communities of ladies who are obsessed with shopping and fashion.  They're also just hilarious and dry and silly.  I'll be sorry to not be a part of those pages for a while, but they're just too good at enabling.  I'll see you in three, ladies.  Maybe.

4.  Gifts and necessities are still on.  Gonna be Christmas soon, and there are birthdays and stuff.  So I'll still shop for other people for the holidays.  And if I run out of toothpaste, I'm not going to reach for the baking soda, I'm going to get more toothpaste.  This isn't an eco-stunt (though I love those).  I'm just trying to re-set my system.  A shopping cleanse!

5.  Thailand is exempt.  I'm going to go visit some elephants in Thailand at the end of January, and those ten days are shopping exempt, because I want to buy gifts and souvenirs, and also it's implied that we can support the local tourist-dependent economy that way.  I haven't fully thought through this yet, but I'm keeping the possibility open.  These ten days won't be included in the overall dealio.

K, that's it.  Next post will not be shtopping related, I promise!

5 comments:

  1. To be fair, our group dis-enable my shopping attempt yesterday. But, we all do have a shopping addiction. I will be sad to not see you around (maybe we should have a no-shopping support group?? still have community focused on other things?) I admire you for taking this on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't leave the group, Anna, just hiding posts for a while. I love that group, but find it's not conducive to #shtopping, as #noshopnovemberfail proved :). I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you answered my Christmas question, but I have know someone that gave up buying anything new for a year, and it was incredible and inventive, and lovely the gifts she gave. Excited for you!

    ReplyDelete