Sunday, October 5, 2014

5 Reasons My Smartphone Makes Me a Better Mother

Despite what the recent study published in the journal of pediatrics says, I believe that my smartphone makes me a better mother.  And here is why:

1. So I’m not bored when helping with homework.  We’ve all been there.  Your second grader has some spelling homework, that while challenging for them, makes you want to count dust particles in the air.  I simply sneak away to FB while they’re writing, and giggle to myself about a baby hippo that’s been mislabeled a cat. If it weren't for my smartphone, I'd quickly lose interest, and be off to run a load of laundry or run a plumbing company, but with the smartphone I remain present in the event they actually need my help.

2. I actually take pictures/videos.  I must admit, I’m one of those people who have no natural aptitude for documenting the minutiae of my life.  I realize, however, my children may want their lives documented.  The only pictures I have of my husband and I when we were dating, were the random ones someone else thought to take. I am not naturally a camera carrier, nor do I think, “I should document this moment for posterity”, but with my smartphone, not only do I have access to a camera and video camera at all times, but I also find myself wanting to one up those “friends” on FB, with the natural charisma, talent and good looks of my offspring.

3. I have a calendar that I actually use.  This is obviously related to my non picture taking proclivities, but before children I never kept a calendar, I kept all my engagements safely tucked away in my head.  This was perfectly acceptable, particularly because the people I surround myself with tend to be the reminding kind. When we started having children, I realized that my system was somewhat flawed. My best friend was somehow not invested in telling me when my toddler’s well child visit was approaching.  Guess what? There's an app for that.

4. I can check or send email when otherwise I’d have to be in front of my home computer.  Picture this.  I have an appointment to meet with the school counselor and my son’s teacher to discuss some very pressing issues.  I get a call just a few hours before that my pregnant sister who is home with her 18 month old, while her husband is in another state, cannot stop vomiting and must be taken to the E.R.  Not only am I going to miss the school appointment, but the school is closed and no one can be reached by way of the school office.  The only alternative to becoming a no show is to email both the school counselor and teacher, but I’m not in front of my trusty computer. Smartphone to the rescue.  So what if I look illiterate because my giant fingers can’t properly use the tiny fake keyboard.  At least the message gets across.

5. I can google my way to answer those “why” questions.  Without my smartphone, when my kids ask “Why is the sky blue?”, I’d just answer “I don’t know, honey, ask someone smarter than Mommy. Maybe Jen.”

1 comment: