Thursday, October 23, 2014

Changing the World One Raisin at a Time

Why, oh, why do people insist on ruining perfectly good baked goods by putting raisins in them?

I mean really!?!  What's wrong with a cinnamon roll?


First of all, it's my understanding that raisins start their lives as plump, juicy grapes, (which I love), and then are dried to make raisins.  I applaud this in terms of food preservation, and I'm not opposed to the little wrinklie buggers on their own.  As a matter of fact, I love all sorts of dehydrated foods, sun dried tomatoes, those little cranberry things, dried apples, figs, just to name a few.

What I do not understand is why you would take the water out of them, only to have them reconstitute inside my cinnamon roll.  The raisins draw moisture from my otherwise delicious cinnamon roll, and suck it into themselves like some kind of parasite, and then when I bite into them, they have a disgustingly unnatural plumpness.

The worst is when I expect chocolate, and instead bite into that reconstituted old, tanned, flesh like texture.


I know not everyone shares my hatred of raisins in baked goods, but I also know I'm not alone. Check out this buzzfeed list on the subject.

Imagine a world where every baked good was filled with the deliciousness of itself.  Can't you just taste the oatmeal cookies, carrot cake and cinnamon rolls, raisin free?  I think we can agree, that the world would be a much better place.

The next time you google a cinnamon roll recipe, and think,"This would be so much better with raisins.", think again.

No comments:

Post a Comment